Sunday, January 25, 2009

Whats in a color?

The greatest thing about the 80s is that it can be defined by different color sets, and whats even better, it's music can be represented by different color sets. Black and Red means rock n roll, and cool rap, anything tough. Light purple, grey, and black represents deep, serious art bands that only college kids know about. And white is anything dumb and boring like inxs or duran duran. Catch my driftage? This is all from personal examination of course, different color sets will remind different people of certain things, certain types of music or songs, and people can make their own combinations that will evoke the spirit of the decade only too them. This is my favorite thing to do.

So yesterday while I was surfing the waves of the net I ran across two bands, and their debut albums, and was struck with an image of the 80s thats probably the best I've ever thought of, and was completely new to me. See lately, for whatever reason, I've been obsessed with these four colors, arranged here by me for your viewing pleasure:


I call them...sky blue, teal, moonstone, and grey. It could have a lot to do with my current obsession with Heathers, and Veronica's unfettered affection for anything blue, but I can't stop thinking about these colors. It should be said, too, that the film was released in 1989.

So these two bands I find last night are The Ocean Blue and The Sundays, who released their debut albums in 1989 and 1990, respectively. So combine the Ocean Blue's jangely airy 80s rock sound, the fact that their album came out in 1989, with my blue color set and it creates a trifecta of 80s time and space, truely taking me back and giving me the most incredible view of 1989 I have ever seen. Team this with The Sundays softgaze sound (also with the jangley guitars and vocal), and I've got myself a legit 80s color set. Imagine: Its a breezy, sparkling day in 1989, you've got a pair of jet black raybans on, shielding your eyes from the sun, you've got a sky blue shirt on, moonstone jeans, grey shoes, and under the teal sky you're listening to "You're not the only one I know" by the Sundays or "Between something and nothing" by the Ocean Blue, and you've got nothing on your mind but how good the song is. I'm pretty sure that's how 1989 was. Sure, I was only about 4 months old in the summer of 89, but I can still dream!

So whats in a color? or a color set? Are there years? Songs? What came first, the color set or the music? Whatever the case, 1989 just got a lot more beautiful, too bad I don't even remember any of the time that I actually spent in it! Aye aye aye!

No comments: